12.14.2003

Zebrahead/Lucky Boys Confusion/WORST CROWD IN THE HISTORY OF CONCERTS

Caught Zebrahead and LBC in Orlando this past Wednesday at the House of Blues, presented by my good buddy Jim Beam. I had heard from friends that went to the show the previous night in Tampa that the crowd was lacking, but it was almost embarassing when I saw the number of folks at the Orlando show.

The sad truth is that Zebrahead is not a headline-quality band, and neither is Lucky Boys. These guys just don't sell enough records, don't have enough of a fan base, and aren't known well enough.

It's a damn shame, too. I've heard that Zebrahead is one if the biggest bands in Japan, strangely enough. Apparently they headline huge music festivals in Japan all the time.

Anyhow, the show opened with the Plain White T's, which couldn't have been less interesting to me. Blah.

Lucky Boys showcased a good mix of old and new. Unfortunately, they didn't play any of their really old stuff, but this wasn't a headlining gig, so they kind of had to get on and off the stage.

I give them credit, every time I catch them live, they put on a good show with a lot of energy, even in front of the WORST CROWD IN THE HISTORY OF CONCERTS.

That's right. Not only was no one at the show, but they liked to stand with their arms folded and stare at bands they paid fifteen bucks to see without blinking an eye.

Ah well, that didn't slow Zebrahead down one bit. These guys are really top-notch entertainers, and they're very funny. Even though 90% of the crowd didn't seem to give a shit, they had a lot of energy and said and did some really funny stuff.

What makes it even cooler is that none of the shit they did was rehearsed. I talked to friends who went to the show in Jacksonville and in Tampa, and at each show, they did their own different stuff.

In the end, I'm glad I went to the Orlando show, 'cuz that was the only time they covered "Eye of the Tiger" and also "Billy Passed the 3rd Grade." They also played the rare "Deck the Halls (I Hate Christmas)" during the 'Zebrahead Request Hour.' Gotta love it.

The guys also weren't afraid to poke fun at the fact that no one was at the show and that the people who bothered to come could care less. At least they had a good sense of humor about it.

Much like Lucky Boys, Zebrahead also did a good mix of old and new, with a decent sampling of their new CD. Unfortunately, they really didn't play enough off their first CD, "Waste of Mind," which is a stark contrast from "Playmate of the Year" and "MFZB," their more recent offerings. Regardless, the tracks they decided to play were great, and the band, as always, was extremely entertaining.
Creative Commons License

2003 - 2005
Reverend Neil Hughes