Thursday, January 20, 2005

digg - I dig it

Most of you out there in cyberspace are aware of user-submitted news sites like Fark, where people submit links to the editors of the site - who then select the most interesting ones to actually post on the web. Don't get me wrong, I love these types of sites, but I don't like the fact that its the editors who decide what links to feature.

Enter digg, a site which combines the format of Fark with the magic of democracy. Users submit links, which are then posted to the site under a variety of different categories. People who find a link that they enjoy can essentially vote for it by "digging" the story. Links that make it to the front page are the ones which have the most digs in each category. Abuse is curtailed by requiring users to sign up if they want to actually participate in voting for and submitting stories.

Having just signed up for the site, my profile is not too prolific, but by viewing someone's profile you can see what links they have submitted and which ones they find interesting.

Check it out!

P.S. - Check out Neil's blog for the 3rd wrestling match.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home