· Constantinople Gateway of trade to the west
Silk road leads from
· Traders only traveled pieces of the road creating a chain of trade along the road.
· Camels utilized as transportation, although when river travel was required the caravans switched to boats.
· Caravans formed for protection against bandits along the route.
· Brigands frequently tried to rob caravans due to the high price of silk.
Other dangers were warring armies fighting over
· Natural dangers included the heat of the desert, and sandstorms.
It was expensive to trade on the