Wednesday, February 04, 2004

Ah, the joys of gaming

This is why I love Penny-Arcade:

Silent Storm should not be able to exist in the world outside my own skull, like a fragile, subterranean mushroom that cannot bear unmitigated sunlight. It bolsters me like an elixir. The feature list reads like a transcript from some gamer sex line, a turn-based World War 2 game, where activities are meted out according to Action Points, and you construct teams based on differing professions and nationalities that improve according to RPG conventions. It calculates real hit locations, as well as bullet deflection and penetration through materials, in fully destructible, interactive environments. I can almost feel warm breath on my earlobe. The game makes me want to abandon my life and splish shoeless in a stream born of melting winter snow. I cup my hands under the water and am suddenly aware that the mountain, the stream, and myself share certain elements of composition. Are the mountain and the stream aware of this? I lock eyes with a bounding fawn and detect what I believe to be recognition. Love is audible and each life produces a resonance distinguishable from all other lives.
(CW)TB out.

Yup, we gamers love our games.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home