Eleni Bozia, Ph.D.
Department of Classics
137 Dauer Hall
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL 32611
Tel: (352) 392-2075
Fax: (352) 846-0297
E-Mail: bozia [@] ufl.edu
GRK 1130 (7608): Beginners Greek I
MTWRF 4th period
MTWRF: TUR 2350
Instructor: Dr. Eleni Bozia
Office: Dauer 137
Phone: 352 273 3694
Office Hours: Monday 8th / Wednesday 7th-8th
Greek Today: A Course in the Modern Language and Culture, P. Bien (Dartmouth) (required) ISBN:1584650338
Greek Today Workbook, P. Bien (Dartmouth) (required) ISBN: 1584653957
The purpose of this course is to provide the students with the necessary grammatical and vocabulary skills in order to read, understand, and
speak Greek. In class we will be using the textbook and workbook to cover grammar and vocabulary. We will also practice speaking Greek.
Along with all the above we will be discussing several aspects of Greek lifestyle so that the students may acquire a well-rounded
knowledge of Greek language and culture.
You will also have quizzes on the discussed material.
preparation of the assigned material is required and necessary. This
will also help you succeed in your quizzes and exams.
- Three exams
Exam dates: A 93-100
Monday, February 13th
Monday, March 19th
Wednesday, April 25th
Late work/makeup work will not be
accepted, unless appropriate
documentation is provided.
1. Your perfect attendance is expected. The university recognizes the right of the individual professor to make attendance mandatory. After due warning, professors can prohibit further attendance and subsequently assign a failing grade for excessive absences.
2. There will be no make-up work except in extraordinary and documented cases.
3. Students requesting classroom accommodation must first register with the Dean of Students Office. The Dean of Students Office will provide documentation to the student who must then provide this documentation to the Instructor when requesting accommodation.
4. The use of cellular devices during class is strictly prohibited.
5. Academic Honesty is expected at all times. We, the members of the University of Florida community, pledge to hold ourselves and our peers to the highest standards of honesty and integrity. On all work submitted for credit by students at the university, the following pledge is either required or implied: "On my honor, I have neither given nor received unauthorized aid in doing this assignment."
Minus grade scale:
Attendance and Participation 15%
3 Exams 60% non-cumulative(20% each)