Gossip Girl Post 3

Although there are tons of characters in these books, I feel like the three I recently read focused on Blair and her journey to get into college. In my opinion, Blair seems to be the most prominent character in these books, because she somehow relates to every other character. She even befriends Vanessa, a girl who is completely opposite from her, in the last book. Blair is such an interesting character because of her dramatic attitude. She has always adored Audrey Hepburn, and therefore tries to act like her life in and elaborate script. This will often make her an emotional rollercoaster, as it has in these three books.

The sixth book in the series begins the week that college admissions letters are supposed to arrive. This is much anticipated for all the characters, but Blair's dramatic attitude makes it even more of an event for her. All her life, Blair has dreamed of going to Yale. One note about Blair though: she dreams about a lot of things that do not come true. When college admission letters finally arrive, Blair has been rejected everywhere except Georgetown and wait-listed at Yale. Although the rejections seem to be more upsetting than the wait-list, Blair of course sees things differently. She throws herself into her room for days, and ends up cutting her hair really short. In Blair's eyes, being wait-listed is the worst thing that could have happened to her, so of course she puts up a dramatic fit because she feels like that's what the celebrities would have done. To any sane person, this of course seems ridiculous. She loses all hope about going to college. Although it would be hard to get over rejection at first, it would seem like she could have some hope to still get into Yale, or just be happy going to Georgetown. Blair just never seems to think straight.

After her days of cave dwelling are over, Blair finally accepts the fact that she may need to go to Georgetown next year. She goes down to visit and of course messes everything up. Although the girls she toured with seemed nice, Blair loses her head and decides to drink too much with them. She then allows them to dye her hair blonde and joins their secret society. I really don't understand why she did this. It would have been easy to just take a tour of Georgetown, but instead she has to go crazy with these girls and create a bad reputation for herself. The only thing I can figure is that she is still vulnerable. She feels like it is okay to do these things because of the state she is in. She is still getting over the fact that her mom married another guy and they have already had a kid in less than a year. After being rejected everywhere and wait-listed at Yale, she feels like her life is over and it is therefore acceptable to do these things. Again, her overly dramatic style takes over her life.

I think the climax of these books really comes when Blair does the unthinkable. She gets so tired of her stepfather and mother that she decides to move in with her complete opposite, Vanessa. Blair moves to Brooklyn with Vanessa. Of course this seems like a recipe for disaster, but it ends up working out pretty well. Blair redecorated the apartment and befriended Vanessa. The most surprising thing was that Vanessa actually accepted Blair. Maybe Vanessa felt bad for her because she knew about her situation. Finally, by the last book, we get resolution to the college situation for Blair. She gets accepted at Yale and immediately decides to go there in the fall. Everything really seems resolved when Blair graduates high school, gets the car she wanted for graduation, and finds a cute guy to date. Her life seems perfect.

As crazy as it is that Blair acts like a dramatic celebrity, she really has no reason not to. Her life has its ups and downs (like everyone's), but she always comes out on top. The issues that she makes a big deal out of seem trivial to most regular people. Since nothing huge has ever happened to Blair in her life though, these are big issues to her. Blair is, in all reality, correct about her life. It is like a movie. She gets depressed, but things eventually get better and everyone lives happily ever after. It really doesn't get much better than that!