Gossip Girl Post 1

Controversy has surrounded the Gossip Girl books since they were first released in 2002. Although the books are targeted for teenagers, many pre-teens and tweens (think 12-14 year olds) are reading this series, which has sold over 5 million copies (Mead). If any other children's book series were as popular as Gossip Girl, the author would be receiving praise for getting children to read. Unfortunately, this series is filled with topics such as sex, drugs, alcohol, consumerism, and bad language-all topics that many deem unacceptable for children to be reading about. After reading the first two books in the series for a second time, I was reminded of how graphic and often inappropriate the books are. With this being said, why does this series continue to be so popular? Does reading about these topics affect younger girl's outlook on life? Why do parents continue to let their children read this series?

In fact, many parents have become enraged by the content of the books. One concerned parent in Leesburg, Florida wrote a letter to her local librarian requesting that the books be removed from the young adult section of their library (Stoever). Nevertheless, the books were not removed, simply because many parents trust their children enough not to imitate the behavior of the characters in the books. For many parents, the Gossip Girl series provides a way for them to have family discussions on these controversial topics (Shrieves). The books do, in fact, bring up many topics that parents should (in my humble opinion) discuss with their kids. In the first book, Gossip Girl, we are introduced to one of the main characters, Blair Waldorf, who is a bulimic and often drinks away her sorrows, mainly because her parents have no problem with it (Von Ziegesar, Gossip Girl). Blair is only 16 years old. The first book also introduces Nate Archibald, another 16 year old who frequently skips class to smoke pot with his friends in Central Park (Von Ziegesar, Gossip Girl). He does not mind getting wasted a little too often as well.

As unfortunate as it sounds, these issues are problems that children today are likely to face. These books are so addicting because of how they relate to our lives in some strange way. No, we are not all children of millionaires who live in fancy apartments in New York City and wear the latest designer brands, but these characters are made so much more real when it is revealed that they face the same problems as a typical teenager does while growing up. Blair is concerned throughout these first two books about getting into college and having sex with her boyfriend, Nate. As much as people do not want to think about it, teenagers are having sex these days. Many girls in high school worry about their first time, just as Blair does. They also may be offered alcohol and drugs for their first time in high school. Although their parents may not be as nonchalant as Blair and Nate's parents are about it, teenagers can still relate to this aspect of the books.

Instead of looking at this as a bad thing, an interesting article in the New Yorker explains the author's writing as a sort of insider humor (Malcolm). It is almost as if the author over-stereotypes characters to be from the viewpoint of a teenager. For example, Ms. Glos, an academic advisor for the girls at Constance Billiard, is described through the eyes of a typical teenager. "Ms. Glos had yellow-tinged skin and frequent bloody noses. All the girls were convinced she had some terrible contagious disease. If she gave you a handout or loaned you a college catalog, you had to wear gloves when you read it. Either that or wash your hands in very hot water afterward" (Ziegesar, You Know You Love Me, 91). It is hard to read that paragraph and not giggle a bit. Everyone seemed to have some advisor through school or elsewhere who was the perfect picture of Ms. Glos. If not, it is easy to get a mental picture of her and understand where the girls were coming from. It was also interesting for me to read this book again after having been to New York City. Since the author lives in New York, there are many references and jokes that talk about the city (McAdam). The books become even more lighthearted when you know a little about the city and can understand these jokes.

It is hard to say if these books really affect how readers see the world around them without researching psychology. Instead of going deep into the mind, I will speak from personal experience. I first read these books in high school. To be completely honest, I did not realize how racy they were until I read them just now for a second time. Teenagers are all about rebelling and finding things that are a tad inappropriate for them to read or watch. These books are enticing because the characters deal with the same issues we do. Personally, I took them as a piece of light reading and moved on. I enjoyed them, but I would not consider them a piece of literary work. I had many friends who read the books, and none of them drastically changed their lifestyle because of it. I really think that the books can be a good way for parents to talk about these issues with their children. Even though I may not agree with the choices that many of the characters make, I still will continue to enjoy the books.

Works Cited