Gerald H. Stein, M.D., FACP
BIRTH PLACE: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
ACADEMIC DEGREES: B.A.
1958 Chemistry, University of Pennsylvania
1962 University of Pennsylvania
POST- GRADUATE MEDICAL EDUCATION:
1962-1963 Intern II and IV medical (Harvard) Unit, Boston City Hospital, Boston,Massachusetts
1963-1964 Junior Assistant Resident: II and IV Medical (Harvard) Unit, Boston City Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts
1966-1967 Senior Assistant Resident: University of Florida, College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida
1967-1969 Fellow: Division of Infectious Disease, Immunology and Arthritis, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
1968 Spring Special Fellow: Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
1967 Summer Visiting Fellow: Clinical Immunology, Stanford University Medical Center, Palo Alto, California
1968 Summer Visiting Fellow: Arthritis Section, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia, University, New York City, N. Y.
1973 Summer Visiting Fellow: Psychology Section, Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington
Note: All appointments as 'Visiting Professor' in Japan are
only descriptive terms except for the formal academic
appointment at St Marianna Medical University
1968-1975 Consulting Physician, Arthritis Foundation Treatment Board, Duval Medical Center, Jacksonville, Florida
1969-1971 Clinical Instructor, Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
1969-1971 Director of Medical Clinic, Alachua General Hospital, Gainesville, Florida
1969-1972 Consultant in Rheumatology, Shands Teaching Hospital Clinics and Veterans Administration Medical Center, Gainesville, Florida
1972-1973 Medical Director, Multiphasic Screening Program, Department of Community Health and Family Practice, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
1972-1978 Attending Physician, The Community Entrance Unit (Rehabilitation Ward), Veterans Administration Medical Center, Gainesville, Florida
1972-1978 Chief, General Medical Clinic, Veterans Administration Medical Center, Gainesville, Florida
1972-1983 Assistant Professor, Department of Community Health and Family Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
1972-1995 Assistant Professor (tenured), Division of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
1975-1984 Co-Director, Center for Ambulatory Studies, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
1976-1980 Affiliated Clinical Assistant Professor, College of Nursing, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
1977-1980 Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
1980-1992 Staff Physician, Ambulatory Care Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Gainesville, Florida
1983-1984 Visiting Associate Professor, Department of Pathology, Division of Immunopathology, The Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, New York
1992 Winter Visiting Professor, Department of Medicine, Maizuru, Municipal Hospital, Maizuru, Kyoto, Japan and 12/200, 12/2001
1992-1999 Director of Medical Education, Professor in Residence, Kameda Medical Center, Kamogawa, Chiba, Japan
1994-1999 Command Consultant, U.S. Naval Hospital, Yokosuka, Kanagawa, Japan
1994-1999 Visiting Instructor, University of Toho School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
1995-Present Visiting Professor, Shonan Kamakura Hospital, Ofuna, Kanagawa, Japan
1995-2015 Consultant, Noguchi Medical Research Institute, Tokyo, Japan
1996-Present Courtesy Clinical Assistant Professor, Division of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
1996-2008 Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Medicine, University of Hawaii, School of Medicine, Honolulu, Hawaii
1997-2011 Visiting Professor, Okinawa Chubu Hospital, Okinawa, Japan
1998-2005 Visiting Professor, St. Luke's International Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
1998-1999 Visiting Professor, Chiba University Hospital, Chiba, Japan
2000-2018 Physician Reviewer Clinic of Jurisdiction, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Gainesville Florida
2001-Present Visiting Professor, Chubu Rosai Hospital, Nagoya, Japan
2001- Present Visiting Professor Min-iren Chuo Hospital, Kyoto, Japan
2002-Summer Visiting Professor, Kawakita General Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
2002-2009 Visiting Professor, Sakai Municipal Hospital, Osaka, Japan
2004-2006 Visiting Professor, Rakuwakai Otowa Hospital, Kyoto, Japan
2004-2006 Teaching Consutant, Ishikawa Prefecture Central Hospital, Kanazawa, Japan
2006-2016 Visiting Professor,
Fukui University Hospital, Fukui City Japan
2006-2011 Visiting Professor, Ryukyu University Hospital, Naha, Okinawa, Japan
2006- Present Visiting
Professor, Nagoya 2nd Red Cross Hospital,
2006- Present Visiting
Professor, Toyota Memorial Hospital, Toyota, Japan
2007-2009 Visiting Professor, Kanazawa University Hospital, Kanazawa, Japan
2008-2016 Visiting Professor, Juntendo University Nerima Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
2010-2016 Visiting Professor, Okayama University Hospital, Okayama, Japan
2010-2016 Visiting Professor, Tsukuba University Hospital, Mito, Japan
2010 - 2011 Kobe Medical
University and Hospital, Kobe, Japan
2010- Present Visiting Professor, Daido Hospital,
2011-2012 Visiting Professor, Keio University Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
2012- 2015 Visiting Professor, St Marianna University Hospital, Kawasaki, Japan
2012- 2015 Visiting Professor, St Marianna University Seibu Hospital, Kawasaki, Japan
2012- 2015 Visiting
Professor, Nagoya City University Hospital, Nagoya, Japan
2012- Present Visiting Professor, Toyota Kariya Hospital, Kariya, Japan
2013- 2016 Visiting Professor, Juntendo University Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
2013- 2018 Visiting
Professor, Saiseikai Tobu Keio University Hospital,
2014- Present Visiting
Professor, Nagoya Memorial Hospital, Nagoya, Japan
2015- 2020, Environmental
Agent physician, Veterans Affairs Medical Center,
2015- 2019, Attending
Physician, Mobile Outreach Clinic, College of Medicine, University of
AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIP:
1959-1961 Medical Student Research Training Program (U.S. Public Health Service), School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
1992-1995 Sabbatical Leave of Absence from Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
2001 - May Special Outstanding Teaching Award, Kameda Medical Center, Kamogawa, Chiba, Japan
Phi Beta Kappa (University Honor Society)
Cum Laude Society (Honor Society)
Pi Mu Epsilon (Mathematics Honor Society)
Phi Lambda Pi (Chemistry Honor Society)
Alpha Epsilon Delta (Pre-medical Honor Society)
Undergraduate medical Association: University of Pennsylvania (President-1962)
Alpha Omega Alpha (Medical School Honor Society)
American Board of Internal Medicine
American College of Physicians, Fellow (FACP)
American College of Rheumatology (Fellow)
Alachua County Medical Society (Retired)
Florida Medical Association (Retired)
American Society of Hypertension (Charter Member)
1964-1966 Dispensary Internist, Fontainebleau, France, Captain, Medical Corps, U.S. Army Reserve
National Board of Medical
State of Florida
1972-1976 Alachua County Child Day Care Program, Member, Gainesville, Florida
1974-1982 Volunteer Physician, Alachua County Organization for Rural Needs (ACORN), Gainesville, Florida
1976-1978 Greater Gainesville Community Association, President(Acting), Gainesville, Florida
1976-1982 Hogtown Creek Open Space Association, Member, Gainesville, Florida
1980-1982 Littlewood Elementary School, Advisory Committee Member, Gainesville, Florida
1980-1983 Linda S. Cook Foundation for Behavioral Research, Inc., Director
1980-2001 Corporation for Public Medicine, President and CEO(until 1995), Chairman of the Board, Gainesville, Florida
1980-1985 Westwood Middle School, Advisory Committee Member, Gainesville, Florida
1981-1984 Executive Vice-president, Mammatech Corporation, Gainesville, Florida
1983-1989 Alachua County School Board, Policy Advisory Committee, Member, Gainesville, Florida; President: 1984, 1986
1985-1989 Committee for Visions for the Future of Gainesville and Alachua County, Commissioner
1993-2013 Noguchi Medical Research Institute, Consultant for International Medical Education and Member Scholarship Selection Committee, Tokyo, Japan
1. Stein, G.H. and Paschall, J.A.: Anti-inflammatory drugs in the management of rheumatic diseases. Drugs (University of Florida Health Center Press), 5: 1, 1970.
2. Hogshead, J. and Stein, G.H.: Mycetoma due to Norcardia brasiliensis. J Bone Joint Surg (Am), 52A: 1229-1234, 1970.
3. Stein, G.H., Pickering, M. and Johnson, J.E.: Cephaloglycine studies in patients with varying renal impairment. Clin Med. 81: 36-38, 1974.
4. Stein, G.H.: Use of a nurse-specialist in the management of patients with diabetes mellitus. Med. Care 12(10): 885-890, 1974.
5. Johnson, T.M. and Stein, G.H.: Politics and Personality in Medicine: Genesis of an indigent clinic. Am J Public Health 65(3): 253-259, 1975.
6. Stein, G.H., Goldstein, M.K. and Smolen, D.: Remote medical-behavioral monitoring: an alternative for ambulatory health assessment. In: Cullen, J., Fox, G., and Isom, R., eds.: Cancer: the behavioral dimension. New York, Raven Press, p. 361-367, 1976.
7. Goldstein, M.K., Sieka, F., Stein, G.H., et al: The hospital as a hotel. Rehabil Counseling Bulletin 57(3): 520-523, 1976.
8. Cade, R., Stein, G.H., Pickering, M.et al: Low dose long-term treatment of rheumatoid arthritis with azathioprine. South Med. J 69: 388-392, 1976.
9. Goldstein, M.K., Stein, G.H., Smolen, D.M. and Perlini, W.S.: Biobehavioral monitoring: a new procedure for remote health assessment. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 57(6): 253-258, 1976.
10. Adams, C.K., Hall, D.C., Goldstein, M.K., Pennypacker, H.S., Hench, L.L., Madden, M.D., Stein, G.H. and Catania, A.C.: Lump detection in simulated breasts. Perception and Psychophysics 20: 163-167, 1976.
11. Hall, D.C., Goldstein, M.K. and Stein, G.H.: Progress in manual breast examination. Cancer 40: 364-370, 1977.
12. Smolen, D.M., Stein, G.H., Goldstein, M.K. and Rosenshein, J.S.: NEW: and Interactive Data Management System for Monitoring Ambulatory Patients. Computer Programs in Biomedicine 8: 71-76, 1978.
13. Saunders, K.J., Perlini, W.S., Goldstein, M.K., Stein, G.H. and Smolen, D.M.: The measurement of patient activity on a psychiatric rehabilitation ward. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 59(6): 255-257, 1978.
14. Todd, J., Karlan, M., Adams, C.K., Goldstein, M.K. and Stein, G.H.: Improved treatment via home monitoring in a case of refractory vertigo. Southern Medical Journal 71: 10, 1250-1252, 1978.
15. Madden, M.C., Hench, L.L., Hall, D.C., Pennypacker, H.S., Adams, C.C., Goldstein, M.K. and Stein, G.H.: Model breasts for use in teaching breast self-examination. J. of Bioeng. 2: 247-435, 1978.
16. Karlan, M.S., Todd, J., Adams, C.K., Stein, G.H. and Goldstein, M.K.: Optokinetic suppression of aberant vestibular reaction. Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology 88: 109-111, 1979.
17. Stein, G.H., Cantor, B. and Panush, R.S.: Adult Still's Disease associated with pregnancy. Arthritis and Rheumatism 23: 248-250, 1980.
18. Hall, D.C., Adams, C.K., Stein, G.H., et al: Improved Detection of Human Breast Lesion Following Experimental Training. Cancer 46: 408-414, 1980.
19. Cantor, B., Tyler, T., Nelson, R.M., Stein, G.H.: Oligohydramnios and Transient Neonatal Anuria. The Journal of Reproductive Medicine, Volume 24(5): 220-223, 1980.
20. Thomas, R.G., Goldstein, M.K., Stein, G.H., Pennypacker, H.S.: Computer-aided instruction of breast self-examination. Annals of the World Association for Medical Informatics 1: 19-22, 1981.
21. Stein, G.H., Mendelow, A.: Osteoarthritis and other degenerative disorders. In: Panush, R.S., ed., Principles of Rheumatic Diseases. New York, John Wiley and Sons, p. 401-421, 1981.
22. Algozzine, G.J., Stein, G.H., Goering, P.L., Araugo, O.E. and Akin, K.: Trolamine Salicylate Cream in Osteoarthritis of the Knee. JAMA, 247(9): 1311-1313, 1982.
23. Stein, G.H., and Goldstein. M.K.: Managing Chronic Disease Patients by Telephone. Am J Public Health 71(11): 1275, 1981, Letter.
24. Goldstein, M.K., Stein, G.H., and Pennypacker, H.S.: On "Subordination" of BSE. Am J Public Health 72(5): 498-499, 1982, Letter.
25. Dlesk, A., Ettinger, M.P., Longley, S., Stein, G.H., Templeton, J.L., and Panush, R.S.: On "Unconventional Arthritis Therapies." Arthritis and Rheumatism 25(9): 1145-1147, 1982, Letter.
26. Algozzine, G.J., and Stein, G.H.: "Trolazine Salicylate Cream in Osteoarthritis." JAMA 248(13): 1577-1578, 1982, Letter.
27. Pennypacker, H.S., Bloom,
H.S., Criswell, E.L., Neelakantan, P., Goldstein, M.K., and
Stein, G.H.: Toward an effective technology of instruction
in breast self-examination. Int J Ment Health 11(3):98-116,
28. Pennypacker, H.S., Goldstein, M.K., and Stein, G.H.: Efficient Technology of Training Breast Self-Examination. In: Hobbs, P., ed., Public Education About Cancer. International Union Against Cancer. UICC Technical Report Series - Volume 72, Geneva 1982. p. 90-96.
29. Stein, G.H., Dickey, R.A., Cohn, P.D., and Goldstein, M.K.: Controlled Comparison of Carprofen and Aspirin in Osteoarthritis of the knee. Current Therapeutic Research 33(3): 415-422, 1983.
30. Pennypacker, H.S., Goldstein, M.K., Stein, G.H.: A Precise Method of Manual Breast Self-Examination. Mettlin and Murphy (Eds.), in: Progress in Cancer Control IV: Research in the Cancer Center, New York, Alan R. Liss, Inc., p. 305-311, 1983.
31. Johnston, J.M., Wallen, A., Partin, J., Neu, E., Cade, R.F., Stein, G.H., Goldstein, M.K., Pennypacker, H.S., and Gfeller, E.: Human Operant Laboratory Measurement of the Effects of Chemical Variables. The Psych. Record, 33: 457-472, 1983.
32. Stein, G.H., Goldstein, M.K.: Ambulatory Activity in Chronic Disease. In: Tyron, W.W. (Ed.), Behavioral Assessment in Behavioral Medicine, New York, Springer Publishing Co., p. 148-164,1985.
33. Stein, G.H., Breast Self-Examination: A New Training Method. Midlife Wellness 2: 91-94, 1985.
34. Williams, L.L., Lopez, L.M., Stein, G.H.: Clinical Pharmacokinetics of Quinidine. Fla. J. Hosp. Pharm. 6: 67-75, 1986.
35. Stein, G.H.: The Value of Breast Self-Examination: Myth or Fact. In: Hobbs, P., ed., Public Education About Cancer. International Union Against Cancer. UICC Technical Report Series Volume 80, Geneva 1987. p. 41-48.
36. Blakey, B., Williams, L., Lopez., and Stein, G.H.: Labetalol HC1: Alpha- and Beta-Blocking Properties: May Offer Advantages Over Pure Beta Blockers. Hosp Formul 1987; 22: 864-9.
37. Schnaper, H.W., Stein, G.H., Schoenberger, J.A., Leon, A.S., Tuck, M.L.,Taylor, A.A., Liss, C., and Shapiro, D.A.: Comparison of Enalapril and Thiazide Diuretics in the Elderly Hypertensive Patient. Gerontology 33: suppl. 1, p. 24-35 (1987).
38. Schnaper, H.W., Stein, G.H., Schoenberger, J.A., Leon, A.S., Tuck, M.L., Taylor, A.A., Liss, C., Shapiro, D.A.: Enalapril, Hydrochlorothiazide and Plasma Renin Activity in Elderly Patients with Essential and Isolate Systolic Hypertension. Current Opinion in Cardiology 1987. 2(suppl 1): S39-S50.
39. Williams, Lisa L., Lopez, Larry M., Thorman, Alfred D., Quay, Gary P., Stein, Gerald H., Mehta, Jawahar L. Plasma Lipid Profiles and Anti- Hypertensive Agents: Effects of Lisinopril, Enalapril, Nitrendipine, Hydralazine and Hydrochlorothiazide. Drug Intelligence and Clinical Pharmacy 1988. 22: 546-550.
40. Gums, John G., Lopez, Larry M., Quay, Gary P., Stein, Gerald H., McCarley, Dean L. Comparative Evaluation of Enalapril and Hydrochlorothiazide in Elderly Patients with Mild to Moderate Hypertension. Drug Intelligence and Clinical Pharmacy 1988. 22: 680-4.
41. Stein, Gerald H., Matthews, Katherine, Bannatyne, Ricardo E., Quay, Gary, Lopez, Larry, and McCarley, Dean, Long-Term Lipid Profiles with Isradipine and Hydrochlorothiazide Treatment in Elderly Hypertensive Patients. Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology 1990. 15(suppl. 1): S90-S92.
42. Holtzman, Jordan L., Abrams, Alan, Cutler, Ralph, Hamilton, Bruce, Kirkendall, Walter M., Neri, Gilbert, Stein, Gerald H., and Matthews, Katherine P., Multicenter Comparison of Once-and Twice-Daily Isradipine to Hydrochlorothiazide for the Treatment of Hypertension in Elderly Patients. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1990. 48: 590-7.
43. Weir, Matthew R., Josselson, John Ekelund, lars-Goran, Korc, Murray, Murray, Pool, James L., Stein, Gerald H., Wolbach, Robert A., and Champion, Donna, Nicardipine as Antihypertensive Monotherapy: Positive Effects on Quality of Life. Journal of Human Hypertension 1991. 5:205-213.
44. Black, Henry R., Lewin, Andrew J., Stein, Gerald H., McCarthy, E., Paul, Hamilton, Jennifer H., Bruce P., Madias, Nicolaos E., Kochar, Mahendr ,S., Abrams, Alan P., Issacsohn, Jonathan L., Gibbons, Mary Ellen, and Matthews, Katherine P., A Comparison of the Safety of Therapeutically Equivalent Doses of Isradipine and Diltiazem for Treatment of Essential Hypertension. American Journal of Hypertension 1992. 5: 141-146.
45. Stein, Gerald H., Stein, Sara M., Quay, Gary, Lopez, Larry. Antinuclear Antibodies with Enalapril, Journal of Human Hypertension 1993. 7: 105-106.
46. G.H. Stein, B.P. Hamilton, J.H. Hamilton, J.L. Holtzman, W.M. Kirkendall, A. Abrams, G. Neri, R. Cutler and K. Matthews, One Year Experience of Elderly Hypertensive Patients with Isradipine Therapy. Journal of Human Hypertension 1994. 8: 911-916.
47. Stein, Gerald H., Creative Thinking-Clinical Problem Solving Resident Physician Training program Kameda Medical Center. Japan Hospitals No 14, July 1995: 35-37.
48. Stein, G.H., Clinical Rounds. URL: http://www2.gol.com/users/kmcdoc/; 1996-1999
49. Stein, G.H., A Realistic Assessment about American Residency Training for Japanese Medical Students and Residents: My Four Years Teaching in a Japanese Hospital. In: Teruya, J., ed., A Guide to American Clinical Training: Practical Advice and Personal Experiences. Medical Sciences International, LTD. Tokyo 1997. p. 337-351.
50. Stein G,H., Comparison between American and Japanese Medical Education. Journal of Okinawa Chubu Hospital 2000;269(1):45-51.
51. Stein G.H., Improvements of Japanese Surgical Training for the 21st Century: Problems and Suggestions Based on my 7 Years Teaching Basic Bedside Skills in Japan. Journal of Japanese College of Surgeons 2001;26:14-19
52. Tokuda Y, Nakazato N,
Stein GH. Pupillary evaluation for differential
diagnosis of coma. Postgrad Med J 2003. 79 (927): 49-51[ http://pmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/abstract/79/927/49]
53. Hideki Koketsu, Yasuharu Tokuda, Gerald
H. Stein: Risk Factors For Mortality From Infectious
Diseases Among Elderly From Long-Term Care Facilities. The
Internet Journal of Infectious Diseases 2003. Volume 2
54. Stein G.H. Comparison between American and Japanese medical education.
In Ashimine, K., ed., The doctors who travel to the USA and Canada for clinical training:diaries from 13 Japanese physicians, Igaku-Shoin, Tokyo 2003. 175-187
55. Tokuda Y, , Stein GH. Lipids as protective factors for subarachnoid hemorrhage. Journal of Clinical neuroscience. 2005;12:538-541
56. Tokuda Y. Miyasato H, Stein GH, Kishaba T. The Degree of Chills for Risk of Bacteremia in acute febrile illness. American Journal of Medicine. 2005;118:1417. http://amjmed.com/article/PIIS0002934305005103
57. Tokuda Y, Miyasato H, Stein GH. A simple algorithm for bacteremia in patients with acute fibrile illness. QJM 2005;98:813-820; Internet: Med Advanced Access 9/20/05 http://qimed.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/98/11/813?etc.
58. Tokuda Y, Stein, GH.
Ethical Basis of Tobacco Control and Population Strategy for
Tobacco-related Disease. Primary Care Japan 2005;3(1):17-27
59. Tokuda Y, Kikuchi M, Takahashi O, Stein GH. Prehospital management of sarin nerve gas terrorism in urban settings: 10 years of progress after the Tokyo subway sarin attack. Resuscitation. 2006;68:193-202
60. Tokuda Y, Matsushima D, Stein GH, Miyagi S. Intrapleural Fibrinolytic Agents for Empyema and Complicated Parapneumonic Effusions: a Meta-Analysis. Chest. 2006;129:783-790.
61. Tokuda Y, Kashima M, Kayo
M, Nakazato N, Stein GH. Cocoa Supplementation for Copper
Deficiency Associated with Tube Feeding Nutrition. Internal
Medicine. 2006;45(19):1079-1085 http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/internalmedicine/45/19/45_1079/_article
62. Morishita K, Gushimiyagi M, Hashiguchi M, Stein, GH, Tokuda, Y. Clinical prediction rule to distinguish pelvic inflammatory disease from acute appendicitis in women of childbearing age. American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2006;25:152-157
63. Tokuda Y. Maezato K, Stein GH. The Causes of Hypercalcemia in Okinawan Patients: An International Comparison. Intern Med. 2007;46:23-28
64. Tokuda Y, Miyasato H, Kishaba K, Stein G. Letter, Reply [The Degree of Chills for Risk of Bacteremia in acute febrile illness. American Journal of Medicine. 2007; 118:1417]American Journal of Medicine.2007;120:e23
65. Tokuda Y, Obara H, Nakazato N, Stein GH. Acute Care Hospital Mortality of Schizophrenic Patients. Journal of Hospital Medicine. 2008;3(2):110-116
66. Abe T, Tokuda Y, Stein G, Ishimatsu S, Birrer R: Risk Factors Associated with Prolonged Hospital Stay in Admitted Patients with Psychotropic Drug Overdose. Open Critical Care Medicine Journal 2008;1(1):12-16.
67. Tokuda Y,
Koizumi M, Stein GH, Birrer RB: Identifying low-risk
patients for bacterial meningitis in adult patients with
acute meningitis. Intern Med 2009;48(7):537-543.
68. Tokuda Y, Omata F, Tsugawa Y, Maesato K, Momotura K, Stein G, Cook EF. Vital sign triage to rule out diabetic ketoacidosis and non-ketotic hyperosmolar syndrome in hyperglycemic patients. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice. 2010;87(3):366:371
69. Nomura A, Imaoka K, Imanishi H, Shimizu H, Nagura F, Maeda K, Tomino T, Fujita Y, Kimura M, Stein GH. Human Brucella canis Infection Diagnosis by Blood Culture. Emerging Infectious Diseases. 2010;16(7):1183-1185
70. Branch, J, Suganami Y, Kitagawa I, Stein, G, Tanaka E. A rare case of Group A streptococcal endocarditis with absence of valvular vegetation, Internal Medicine.
71. Stein G, Shibata A, Bautista M. Webinar: Free technology for international distant real time interactive tutoring. Medical Teacher. 2010;32(7):619-20
73. Abe T, Tokuda Y, Ishimatsu S, Stein GH. Spinal dural arteriovenous fistula incidentally discovered. J Emerg Trauma Shock. 2011;4:299
74. Takata Y, Stein GH, Endo K, Arai A, Kohsaka S, Kitano Y, Honda H, Kitazono H, Tokunaga H, Tokuda Y, Obika M, Miyoshi T, Kataoka H, Terasawa H. Content analysis of medical students’ seminars: a unique method of analyzing clinical thinking. BMC Medical Education. 2013;13:156.
75. Stein GH, Tokunaga H, Ando H, Obika M, Miyoshi T, Tokuda Y, Bautista M, Kataoka H, Terasawa H. Preliminary report of a Web-based instrument to assess and teach knowledge and clinical thinking to medical student 2013. International Journal of Medical Education. 2014;5:1-6
76. Stein, GH. Clinical reasoning: an unfinished journey. General Medicine. 2015;16(1):5-7.
77. Stein GH, Tokunaga H, Ando H, Obika M, Miyoshi T, Tokuda Y, Noguchi Y, Kinjo M, Kohsaka S, Honda H, Kitano Y, Kitazono H, Kataoka H, Terasawa, H. Clinical reasoning Web-based prototypic module for tutors teaching 5th grade medical students: a pilot randomized study. General Medicine. 2015;16(1):13-25.
78. Stein GH, Tokunaga H,
Ando H, Obika M, Miyoshi T,
Tokuda Y, Noguchi Y, H, Kataoka H,
Terasawa, H. Medical students' opinion of a Web-based module
to teachclinical reasoning
and knowledge. General
79. Morita F, Kano M, Uehara Y, Aoki M, Stein GH, Naito T. Dr. Stein's Problem-Based Learning. Juntendo Medical Journal. 2016;62(2):88-95.80. Early intervention for evolving necrotizing soft tissue infection stops flesh eating bacteria!. Numata Kenji,
Nguyen T, Ng Y, Lehenaff R, McCoy M, Grigg J, Stein, GH,
Hardt NS. A Mobile Clinic Care Coordination Program:
Enhancing Patient Care with Innovative Roles for
Undergraduate Students. 2019:510-518. Journal of Health Care
for the Poor and Underserved.
1. Cohen, S.A., Hughes, C.R.V., Stein, G.H., and Christian, C,: Character of anti-DNA antibodies in systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum. 12: 660, 1969.
2. Stein, G.H, et al: Home self-recording by arthritis outpatients. Journal of Rheum.1: 44 (suppl. 1), 1974.
3. Thomas, R.G., Goldstein, M.K., and Stein, G.H: Microprocessing: 1. An intelligent terminal for unrestricted man. Proceedings: AAMI 14th Annual Meeting, 272; 1979.
4. Goldstein, M.K., Thomas, F.G., Moulder, P.V., and Stein, G.H.: Microprocessing: 2. The patients operated portable analyzer. Proceedings: AAMI 14th Annual Meeting, 97: 1979.
5. Algozzine, G., and Stein, G.H.: Limited Value of Topical Treatment: A controlled study of osteoarthritis of the knee. Arthritis and Rheumatism, 25: 5152, 1982.
6. Stein, G.H., Goldstein, M.K., and Pennypacker, H.S.: An applied technology of manual breast examination. Proceedings: 13th International Cancer Congress, p. 216, 1982.
7. Stein, G.H., Goldstein,
M.K., and Pennypacker, H.S.: An applied technology of breast
self-examination. Proceedings: 16th Annual Meeting American
Association for Cancer Education, p. 59A, 1982.
8. Stein, G.H., Goldstein, M.K., and Pennypacker, H.S.: An applied technology of breast self-examination. Proceedings: Cancer Control Research in the Cancer Center, Bethesda, Maryland, 1983.
9. Williams, L., Lopez, L., Thorman, A., Quay, G., Stein, G., Mehta, J.: Comparative effects of enalapril, lisinopril, nitrendipine, hydrochlorothiazide and hydralazine on plasma lipid concentrations in American Society of Hypertension, A61, p. 131, 1988.
10. Stein, G., Quay, G., Lopez, L., McCarley D., Lipid profile changes from isradipine, a new calcium antagonist, in elderly hypertensive patients. Proceedings: Twelfth Scientific Meeting of the International Society of Hypertension, #0112, 1988.
11. Stein, G., Quay, G., Lopez, L., McCarley, D., Lipid changes with isradipine, a new calcium antagonist, in elderly hypertensive patients. Proceedings: Third Annual Meeting of the American Society of Hypertension, #1024, 1988.
12. Stein, G.H., Quay, G., Lopez, L., McCarley, D.: Lipid changes with isradipine, a new calcium antagonist, in elderly hypertensive patients. American Journal of Hypertension. 1: 3 (part 2), p. 18A (July 1988).
13. Stein, G.H., Quay, G., Lopez, L., McCarley, D.: Elderly hypertensive patients' lipid changes with isradipine, a new calcium antagonist. Proceedings: Third International Symposium on Hypertension in the Community, Tel Aviv, Israel, (1988).
14. Stein, G.H., Lopez, L., Quay, G., McCarley, D.: The Effect of enalapril (EN), an ACE inhibitor, on antinuclear antibody (ANA) in elderly hypertensive (HT) men. Proceedings: The International Symposium on ACE Inhibition in London, UK, (February 1989).
15. Stein, G.H., Lopez, L., Quay, G., McCarley, D., and Matthews, K.: Long-term improvement of lpid profiles with isradipine in elderly hypertensive patients. American Journal of Hypertension.2: 5 (part 2), pp. 8A (May 1989).
16. Stein, G.H., Matthews, K., Holtzman, J.L., Cutler, R., Hamilton, B., Kirkendall, W., Rowe, J., Schoenberger, J.: Multicenter comparison of once and twice daily isradipine (IS) to hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) for hypertension in the elderly. American Journal of Hypertension.2: 5 (part 2), p. 59A (May 1989).
17. Stein, G.H., Quay, G., Lopez, L., McCarley, D., and Matthews, K.: Lipid profiles with isradipine hypertension. Proceedings: International Symposium on Calcium Antagonists for Hypertension, Atherosclerosis and Stroke, Milan, Italy, (June 1989).
18. Stein, G.H., Lopez, L., Quay, G., McCarley, D.: Antinuclear antibody response from enalapril in elderly hypertensive men. Proceedings: XVII (17th) ILAR Congreso of Rheumatology, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, (September 1989).
19. Stein, G.H., Weir, M., Josselson, J., Ekelund, L., Korc, M., Pool, J.: Favorable effects of nicardipine on the quality of life during hypertension treatment. American Journal of Hypertension. 3: 5 (part 2) #1151 (May 90).
20. Lopez, L., Sproat, T., Stein, G.H.: Long-term experience with isradipine in elderly hypertensive patients. Pharmacotherapy 1991, 11.
21. Lopez, L., Yedinak, K., Stein, G.: Comparative efficacy of isradipine and hydrochlorothiazide for the treatment of hypertension in the elderly. Pharmacotherapy 1991, 11.
22. Stein, G., Hamilton, B., Holtzman, J.: One year experience of elderly hypertensive with isradipine. American Journal of Hypertension. 4: 5 (part 2) (May 91).
23. Williams L, Davis J. Lowenthal DT, Stein G, Kamimori G, Panton L: The effect of fosinopril (F) or verapamil SR (V) with or without diuretic (HCTZ) in elderly hypertensive males (EHM). American Journal of Hypertension. 6: 5 (part 2) #1428 (May 93).
24. Stein, G.H.:Physical examination (PE) skills of first year residents. Proceeding:The 29th Japan Medical Education Society Meeting in Kanazawa,Japan,(July1997).
25. Stein, G.H.: Ideal skills for junior residents(JR). Proceeding: The 29th Japan Medical Education Society Meeting, Kanazawa, Japan, (July 1997).
26. Stein, G.H. :Teaching Basic Clinical Skills to Japanese Residents: A 7 Year Experience. Proceedings: Journal of Japanese College of Surgeons, 25:3 p 306 June, 2000
27. Shabata A, Stein G, Hajime Y. Educational Potential of Internet-Webinar from America to Japanese medical students. Proceedings: American College of Physicians, Japan Chapter, Tokyo, April 1010.
28. Branch J, Stein GH, Kitagawa I, Yoshizawa K, Tanaka E, Kawada J, Watanabe K. Physical examination skills of first year Japanese residents improved by structured clinical training. Proceedings: Japan Society of Medical Education, Tokyo, July 2010
Breast cancer detection training system
US 4134218 A
Jan 16, 1979
Oct 11, 1977
Oct 11, 1977
Also published as
CA1109252A1, 4 More »
Medical Journal Peer Manuscript
Medical Journal Peer Manuscript Reviewer
2017- Present. Medical
Education. Twenty-one 'Really Good Stuff'
2017- Present. Medical
Education. Twenty-one 'Really Good Stuff'
2017- Present -Four
different medical journals, one manuscript each
2017- Present -Four
different medical journals, one manuscript each
2020- Present- Open
Heart. Two manuscripts reviewed
2020- Present- Open
Heart. Two manuscripts reviewed
Kameda Medical Center
1993-1999 Postgraduate medical education committee, executive secretary
1993-1999 Medical library committee, chairman
1994-1996 Computerized medical chart development committee, member
1996-1999 Maryland Quality Indicators review committee, member
1997-1999 Nutrition committee, chairman
1998-1999 Medical chart review committee, member
American Heart Association Certification
Basic Life Support(BLS)- 7/98 to 7/00
Advanced Cardiac Life Support- 10/98 to 10/00