Health Care for
Persons with Disabilities
Department of Pediatric Dentistry
The primary purpose of this site is to present information about oral health care for the person who has a disability.
Educational and Informational Links:"Oral Health Care for Persons with Disabilities"
an online CE course by Dr. Paul Burtner
"Dental Education in Care of Persons with Disabilities" University of Washington
"Healthy People 2010"
US Department of Health and Human Services
"A Study of Dental Access by People with Developmental Disabilities in Utah"
Utah Governor's Council on People with Disabilities
"Access to Oral Health Care for Florida's Citizens with Developmental Disabilities: A White Paper"
Florida Developmental Disabilities Council
Full Text Journal Articles:
- A Survey of the Availability of Dental Services to Developmentally Disabled Persons Residing in the Community. Burtner AP, Jones JS, McNeal DR, Low DW. Special Care in Dentisty 1990:10(6):182-184
- Providing Oral Health Care to Individuals with Severe Disabilities Residing in the Community: Alternative Care Delivery Systems Burtner AP and Dicks JL. Special Care in Dentisty 1994:14(5):188-193
- Children With Mental Retardation/Developmental Disabilities: Do Physicians Ever Consider Needed Dental Care? Waldman HB, Perlman SP, Swerdloff M. Mental Retardation 2001:39(1):53-56
- Back to the Future Meskin LH. JADA 2001:132:421-424
Links to organizations and information about disabilities:
- American Academy of People with Disabilities
- Academy of Dentistry for Persons with Disabilities
- American Association on Mental Retardation
- Autism Society of America
- Exceptional Parent Magazine
- International Prader-Willi Syndrome Organization
- The Arc of the United States
- Spina Bifida Association of America
- National Association of Developmental Disabilities Councils
- Specialized Care Company (specialized dental products)
- Prader-Willi Syndrome Association, USA
- Angelman Syndrome Foundation
- Williams Syndrome Association
- National Tuberous Sclerosis Association
Course information for UFCD dental students:
College of Dentistry: 352.392.4131
Tacachale Dental Clinic: 352.955.5616
Dr. Paul Burtner